Wednesday, January 25, 2012



I grew up in Chappell, Nebraska. I learned to bake and sew from my mom, grandmothers, neighbors and friends mostly by being in 4-H, as any good Nebraska girl does. I decorated my duds, sewed some basic clothing items, made a couple quilts, sent snicker-doodles and muffins to state fair, and decorated cakes. When my niece Harper arrived almost 3 years ago I started making crafty items here and there. I found that many of those 4-H skills came in quite handy. Our new niece Maddie joined the family in November, and now Harper is almost 3 years old, there are so many projects I look forward to making with them and making for each of them. These days I also find myself coming up with all kinds of craft projects that I want to make for co-workers, family, and friends. I've been baby shower crazy around here over the last six months or so, helping with three showers so far, which has also been a lot of fun, too. 

Baking was something that started from 4-H, for fun, and for yummy confections, but I started cooking out of financial restraints when in college (at Midland Lutheran College - now Midland University) and just after I graduated when I moved to the Houston area, back then I mostly cooked to stay alive. Just after my husband and I got married (almost 5 years ago) I was diagnosed with a syndrome that required not eating anything white while I started new medications, that meant no white flour, no white pasta, no white rice, no white sugar, no potatoes, etc., basically a low glycemic index foods only. I also was suffering from awful migraines, that seemed to have some food related triggers, but we were not totally sure what the foods were at the time. Now it seems so easy to live with the minor changes I still have to maintain, but at the time it was kind of devastating. I went through a time of thinking I would never again be able to eat all of the wonderful foods I loved, and I thought it meant missing out of all of those food memories I held so dear. Andy and I started reading labels like crazy and not eating out, since it was hard to figure out how to order. We learned how to cook out of necessity, but found a love for food and cooking together that has been lasting.

I am totally new to this whole Blogging world. This week I've started reading some Blogs since I seriously have been out of the loop, and haven't really been into even reading Blogs. Mostly I just want to be able to share projects I'm working on with friends and family. I also love to share recipes and cakes we're making at home, and wonderful meals we've eaten out. I have a lot of these posted on my Facebook page, so over the next few weeks I'm going to start moving old projects here, and add the ones I'm currently working on, too. I'd love to have input from anyone who actually reads this as to what you'd like to see here...Thanks for spending some time with me...and really there won't be many more with this much text, pictures are so much more fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment