Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Advent Calendar/Christmas Countdown




To start I took large new cookie sheets, measured to the middle and my father-in-law helped me drill holes in it for the ribbon to hang it from


Then we hammered it down so there would be no edges poking out


then we sanded it down so it would be kiddo safe


next i found these cookie cutter buttons to put on the top and on the bottom edge of the cookie sheet for decoration (my sister and I love decorating cookies for Christmas so having a cookie/cookie cutter/cookie sheet theme seemed fitting)


I took some small Christmas Tree Ornaments and cut off the strings to make them into magnets...


I put the magnets on the back (don't use hot glue, it's not strong enough)


Then I used paint pens to write the numbers, being careful about spacing is important, I ended up re-writing the numbers because the first time I didn't pay enough attention...I had a hard time figuring out how to do it, so I ended up getting a piece of scrapbooking paper and making the calendar part on it...I used the dot numbers because it's kind of a thing in our family


After I got the paper and made the grid on the paper I Mod Podge-ed the whole thing with about four or so coats to protect it a little...
  

Here are the finished cookie looking ornaments turned into magnets


Just the top



My aunt Linda made a calendar for me when I was a little girl, so I was really happy she was there to open it with Harper and show her how to use it :) I also sewed a little bag out of milk and cookie fabric to keep the magnets in, and on the back of the Wise Guys, Angel, and the Mary Joseph & Jesus I wrote 23, 24, and 25 but the others magnets are not numbered...


No comments:

Post a Comment