Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Polka Dot Birthday Cake, Inside and Out:


To make this cake I had to buy a cake ball pan. I adjusted the white cake batter to the recipe that came with the pan, and then distributed it in five little bowls. I colored each one a different bright color. Then I put the batter in the pan, you are supposed to push the batter down and only fill it a little under half way. I got these way to full and the batter oozed out all over the top of the pan, ha, live and learn...


Put the top on and secure it with silicone clips


Then I backed them as directed, took them out, let them cool just a bit, trimmed off the edges and they were ready for the next step


I placed the balls in the pan to make sure they fit, then poured enough white cake mix in the bottom of the pan, placed the balls on top, covered them with enough white cake mix, and baked them...it took a long time to bake it, and I used a 2 inch high pan


This was my practice cake, I thought it might be fun to make colored frosting on the inside of the fondant, but I found that it took away from the polka dots, so in the real cake I used plane white frosting, but the process did seem to work


Slices where you can see the polka dots


I hadn't ever done anything with edible photo paper before, so I thought I'd try that out, too. Those photo paper cutters are expensive, and my pizza cutter with a plastic ruler worked out just fine (I washed the ruler first don't worry) :-) 


Here's the inside of the finished product, the polka dots turned out a little differently in the large cake pan, but it still looked pretty cool...well though out dot placement before baking is really important...


Here's Maddie's final cake!


No comments:

Post a Comment